Transitions Optical has announced the members of its Diversity Advisory Board for 2021-2022. Originally formed in 2010, the new eleven-member board represents expertise in the largest and fastest-growing minority demographic groups in the United States. Board members will work closely with Transitions Optical on new programs that will help to improve Black and Hispanic representation in optometry, ophthalmology and opticianry, and to identify new programs and tools to support eyecare professionals in their own efforts to provide the best level of care for diverse patients.
New and returning members of the Transitions Diversity Advisory Board include:
- Lina Arango, O.D. – founder of LTA Vision and VICLE
- Diana Canto-Sims, O.D. – Buena Vista Optical and La Vida Eyewear
- Brian Chou, O.D. – ReVision Optometry
- Mila Ferrer – programs manager, Beyond Type 1 and diabetes advocate
- Darryl Glover, O.D. – professional services special projects liaison and optometrist, MyEyeDr.
- Essence Johnson, O.D. – Parkland Hospital
- Edwin Marshall, O.D. – professor emeritus of optometry and former vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs, Indiana University
- Utenzi Miller – owner, business manager, and optician at Elegant Eyes, Inc.
- Janette Pepper, O.D. – associate professor and coordinator of student diversity and inclusion at Southern College of Optometry
- Devin J. Sasser, O.D. – owner of Eye Clarity LLC
- Vincent K. Young, M.D. – chairman, division of ophthalmology, Albert Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia
The Diversity Advisory Board is part of the Transitions Optical sustainability plan focusing on carbon footprint and circularity, world sight light education, and inclusion and ethics.
“With our Diversity Advisory Board we are building on the strong foundation Transitions Optical has around diversity and inclusion with actionable movement, focusing first on industry change via increased diversity among eyecare professionals,” said Patience Cook, director North America marketing, Transitions Optical. “It’s our hope that along with our board members, we will be able to shape the face of the optical industry to better serve the needs of diverse patient bases.”
Transitions Optical provides its industry partners with the tools and education they need to better serve and improve communication with their culturally diverse patients. Resources are available free-of-charge to eyecare professionals at TransitionsPRO.com/Multicultural. Those interested in being involved with the Transitions Diversity Advisory Board can contact email@example.com for more information.